The Venerable Musical Chapel of Santa Maria in Campitelli
It gives new life to a centuries-old tradition, which starts from the end of the sixteenth century, since the foundation of the Order of Clerics Regular of the Mother of God, OMD, an order founded by St. John Leonardi in 1574, within which important compositions of vocal and instrumental music have seen the light and distinguished musicians such as Father Francesco Giovannini OMD have worked, Domenico Zipoli, Giuseppe Jannacconi, G. Baini , G. Signorelli.
The seat of the Musical Chapel is located in the Church of Santa Maria in Portico in Campitelli in the heart of Ancient Rome.
Designed at the beginning of the seventeenth century by the architect Carlo Rainaldi, composer and musician in Campitelli and at the court of Cristina of Sweden, the church preserves in its archive a fund of unpublished manuscripts owned by the OMD for use by the Musical Chapel of Campitelli, including works from the last years of the seventeenth century until the twentieth century, including music by Gaetano and Filippo Capocci, Tommaso Gardella and Licinio Refice.
The Cappella Musicale was reconstituted in 2010 with the aim of rediscovering and systematically enhancing the repertoire of the unpublished Italian Renaissance and Baroque. Under the direction of Vincenzo Di Betta, appointed Maestro di Cappella, it consists of a group of professional singers and instrumentalists who, in addition to concerts, accompany the most important moments during the celebrations of the liturgical year in the same church of Campitelli.
The Cappella Musicale has created the ensemble La Cantoria Campitelli, which gives its name to the Baroque Renaissance Festival La Cantoria, with the collaboration of the Association for Ancient Music Antonio il Verso of Palermo.
In 2012, La Cappella Musicale and the ensemble La Cantoria Campitelli performed, under the direction of Roberto Gini, unpublished motets by G. Felice Sances, at the conclusion of the conference of studies on the orientalist Father Ludovico Marracci OMD (XVIIs.), the first translator of the Koran into Latin.
In 2013 La Cantoria Campitelli realized the first modern performance of Bonaventura Rubino’s Requiem, of 1653, for the XXI Season of Ancient Music concerts of the Antonio il Verso Association of Palermo, in the Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi in Palermo. The concert, repeated in Rome in the Basilica of the XII SS Apostles for the III Festival of Renaissance and Baroque Music La Cantoria was received with great enthusiasm and received wide acclaim from critics and the media.
Among the collaborations he follows, with the Cardinal Pio Laghi Foundation and the Order of Malta, the humanitarian project for Georgia.